Questions & Answers: Riding METRO
On this page, you can get answers to common questions about riding METRO, all in one place.
I-45, I-69 / US 59 and Hwy. 290 (operated by METRO):
- The managed lanes are open daily from 5-11 a.m. inbound (toward downtown) and 1-8 p.m. outbound (away from downtown.
- The lanes will be closed on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
I-10 (operated by Harris County Toll Road Authority):
- The managed lanes are open at all times, with HOV hours on weekdays from 5-11 a.m. and 2-8 p.m. in both directions.
I-10 Managed Lanes: between I-610 and Highway 6
I-45 (North Freeway): between downtown and just south of Cypresswood Drive.
I-45 (Gulf Freeway): between downtown and Webster, Texas
Hwy. 59 (Eastex Freeway): between downtown and Humble, Texas
Hwy. 59 (Southwest Freeway): between downtown and just north of Stafford, Texas
Hwy. 290 (Northwest Freeway): between I-10/I-610 and Cypress, Texas
I-45, Hwy. 59 and Hwy. 290:
- Vehicles with a minimum of two (sometimes three) people, and motorcycles may use the lane any time they’re open. A baby or infant is considered an occupant for meeting the HOV lane occupancy requirement.
- Single occupant vehicles may use the lane outside of peak travel times which are generally from about 6:30-8:00 a.m. and 4:30-6:00 p.m.
- “Managed lanes” are open to all vehicles. Motorcycles and vehicles with a minimum of two people can use the lanes during HOV hours without paying a toll. Single occupancy vehicles who ride during those hours are required to pay a toll. And all vehicles are required to pay a toll outside of HOV hours.
- Katy-CBD HOV ramp into downtown is only open to buses, motorcycles, vanpools and carpools, with no toll. Single occupant vehicles aren't allowed to use this ramp.