METRO respects your privacy. We protect the information collected when you use METRO’s website and mobile applications, and participate in our online surveys. Information collected from the website may include web forms, or emails you submit to us.
The Policy below becomes effective as soon as you access or use METRO’s website or mobile applications, or participate in our online surveys, It's subject to change at any time. If you have any questions or concerns about this Policy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following definitions apply:
- Aggregate Data - Aggregate Data is statistical information derived from collective data that relates to a group or category of persons. Aggregate Data reflects the characteristics of a large group of anonymous people.
- Cookie - A cookie is a small text file that a website can place on your computer’s hard drive in order, for example, to collect technical information about your activities on the website or to make it possible for you to use an online shopping cart to keep track of items you wish to purchase. The Cookie transmits the information back to the website’s computer and is the only computer that can read it.
- Location Data or Location Information - Location Data or Location Information is mobile device geo-location data, including but not limited to, geolocation data from GPS, cellular, Wi-Fi services, your mobile device IP address, or other similar technology. Location Data also includes your current, past, or future location based on mobile application usage or any route planning, trip planning, or multi-modal tools accessed by you.
- Personal Identifying Information (“PII”) - PII identifies or describes a person or can be directly linked to a specific individual. Examples of PII include, but are not limited to, your name, mailing address, billing address, telephone number, email address, credit or debit card number, security code and expiration date, and information related to your mobile device and location if you use METRO’s mobile applications.
- Transaction Data or Transaction Information - Transaction Data or Transaction Information are details relating to the ticket transactions made to access METRO services, including but not limited to, ticket purchase, activation, validation, access, and usage.
METRO collects information from you when you register, place an order, subscribe to a newsletter or alert, fill out a form or enter information, use our wayfinding services, or complete an online survey. We may use this information in the following ways
- To personalize user’s experience and to allow METRO to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To improve our website and mobile applications in order to better serve you.
- To allow us to better respond to your customer service requests.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other website feature.
- To quickly process your transactions.
- To send periodic emails or alerts regarding your order or other products and services.
The information you voluntarily provide may be disclosed to a third party for the limited purposes of administering a contest, promotion or survey, or for research to improve METRO's services. Otherwise, unless you agree to its release or unless required by law, court order, or as legally required to do so in connection with law enforcement investigations or other legal proceedings, METRO will not disclose your information to a third party. METRO or its contractors do not sell, trade, or lease your personal information to anyone, except when the purpose and manner of the disclosure has been disclosed to you prior to your providing the information.
METRO may hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, such as processing credit card transactions, sending emails, or answering customer questions about our services. These companies may be provided with the personal information they need to deliver the service for which they are hired. We require these companies to maintain the confidentiality of the information they receive and prohibit them from using the information for any other purpose.
METRO is committed to the security of your personal information. Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all sensitive/credit information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) technology. We implement a variety of security measures when you place an order, enter, submit or access your information to maintain the safety of your personal information. The information we receive is stored on our servers which are scanned on a regular basis for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our website and mobile applications as safe as possible. We also perform regular malware scanning.
Log Activity for Statistical Analysis
METRO may use Aggregate Data and provide Aggregate Data to others to generate statistical reports for the purpose of managing METRO operations. METRO also tracks activity and functions on its website in the form of log files on web servers. These logs are analyzed by third-party statistical analysis software solutions such as Google Analytics, Siteimprove, and Hotjar, to provide visitor activity trend data. The data gathered is used to better organize information contained on our website and to improve your experience. These files log visitors to the website, usually a standard procedure for hosting companies and a part of hosting services analytics. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol (“IP”) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (“ISP”), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and possibly the number of mouse clicks. This information is used to analyze trends, administer the website, track your movement around the website, and gather demographic information. IP addresses and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable. This information is not used to identify you on an individual level.
METRO uses third-party services to assist us in analyzing how our website and mobile applications are used, including but not limited to the following:
Security and Intrusion Detection
For website security purposes and to ensure that the services remain available to all users, METRO employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, court order, or other legal proceedings, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits.
Your use of the METRO website and mobile applications may also include collection of information about your location. The mobile applications use your precise current location via global positioning system (“GPS”) or other network location sources like Wi-Fi and cell towers. In order to use these location services, they must be turned on and available on your device. You are not required to provide Location Data for participation in the services and you have the option of declining collection of geolocation data. METRO will use geographic location information only for the limited purpose of improving its services. METRO will not distribute, sell or transfer this information to third-parties. METRO may also combine Location and Transaction Data provided by you in a non-identifiable format that may be disclosed to third parties. The combined data is used by METRO to improve METRO’s program and system. This combined data does not contain any information that could be used to contact or identify individual METRO customers or their accounts.
Notifications and Beacons
METRO will send messages in the form of mobile notifications through its mobile applications. The mobile applications may use Location Data or Location Information to display notifications. Also, messages may be activated by beacon devices in a public space, which communicate location, transit, or event information.
Links to Other Websites
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act
Pursuant to the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), children under 13 years of age must have permission from a parent or legal guardian before providing personal information on a website or application. METRO complies with the requirements of COPPA and the Federal Trade Commission’s Rule interpreting COPPA. METRO’s website and mobile applications are not directed to children, and do not knowingly collect any PII from children under the age of 13, without parental consent. If METRO learns that it has PII on a child under the age of 13 without parental consent, access to that information by the child or any third party will immediately be denied and the information removed from the system.
Notice Regarding Texas Public Information Act
METRO is a government entity under Chapter 451 of the Texas Transportation Code. As such, METRO is subject to any requests for disclosure under the Texas Public Information Act, Chapter 552 of the Texas Government Code. All information, with certain limited exceptions, provided to METRO through the website, mobile applications, and web forms may be subject to disclosure to the public upon request.
While we attempt to maintain accurate and current information on our website, METRO does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of any material displayed on its website or on any links accessed from its website. METRO updates its website periodically and may change any of the material at any time without notice. The materials posted may be out of date and METRO makes no commitment to update the materials.