Questions & Answers: About METRO
On this page, you can get answers to common questions about projects, doing business with METRO and more, all in one place.
METRORapid is a transit service that combines elements of light rail and bus to deliver faster connections and a smooth, convenient ride.
- Modern design offering 100% accessibility, with wider doorways and level boarding
- Outstanding customer amenities such as station-like platforms at every stop
- Dedicated, transit-only lane to move through traffic
- Convenient schedule for easy trip planning
This project is part of the METRONext Moving Forward Plan, to create faster, more reliable and more frequent service. The project will:
Downtown and Uptown are two of Houston’s largest employment and activity centers. Although METRO provides local bus service on city streets, there’s no rapid transit connection between Downtown and Uptown.
The Inner Katy Corridor is one of the most heavily congested roadways in the Houston area. This affects both motorists and METRO’s Regional Express buses, which operate in mixed traffic where there’s no HOV lane.
The new METRORapid Inner Katy line will provide:
Fast and frequent service
Universally accessible service for all between Downtown and Uptown throughout the day, at night and on weekends.
Faster and more reliable trips
The project will accommodate all of METRO’s Regional Express trips along the I-10 West and Hwy. 290 NW freeways that currently get bogged down in traffic between I-610 and Downtown. Transit-only lanes in both directions will help reduce travel time and improve schedule reliability for thousands of current riders.
At Northwest Transit Center:
- Create direct connection with METRORapid Silver Line so you can ride from Downtown to Uptown without having to transfer
- Link with several METRO local and Regional Express routes – increasing connectivity to destinations like Texas Medical Center, Greenway Plaza, Memorial Park and Westchase
The project will also provide a fast connection between the METRORapid Silver Line and the METRORail Green and Purple Lines.
- Serve current riders
- Accommodate expected population growth in this area
- Improve access to jobs and economic opportunity
Significant property impacts are not anticipated. METRO expects determinations to be made during the final design phase. As always, we’ll adhere to all federal requirements regarding potential property acquisition.