Arthur C. Smiley III
Chief Financial Officer
“But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.”
— Robert Lee Frost
Arthur C. Smiley III oversees more than 80 professionals involved in all aspects of METRO’s financial management: accounting, treasury, investment, revenue collection, management analysis, capital and operating budgeting and grants.
Under Art’s leadership, METRO has received recognition and numerous awards for financial transparency and excellence in financial reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association, the Texas Comptroller Leadership Circle, and the Texas Public Interest Research Group.
Standard & Poor’s renewed METRO’s favorable bond ratings after Hurricane Harvey, specifically citing the agency’s speedy resumption of normal service as evidence of METRO’s strong operational practices. Improving financial circumstances and sound management prompted Standard & Poor’s to adjust METRO’s rating from AA+ to AAA in November 2018.
Art advanced through the ranks at METRO, from senior auditor to director of audit to vice president and chief auditor.
Throughout his entire professional career, Art has been involved in analyzing and making recommendations related to major construction and infrastructure projects.
- METRO, Senior Auditor
- METRO, Director of Audit
- METRO, Vice President and Chief Auditor
- General Foods Corporation, Marketing
- Equitable Life & Casualty, Industry Analyst and Investment Manager, Rail and Airline
- Exxon USA, Financial Analyst, Major Capital Projects
Professional Associations and Activities
- Member, American Public Transportation Association (APTA), 1987-Present
- Vice Chairman, APTA Committee of Audit Professionals, 2014-2016
- Committee Member, METRO Non-Union Employee Pension Plan, 2016-Present
- Trustee, METRO Transport Workers Union Pension Plan, 2013-2016
- Vice Chairman and Committee Member, METRO Non-Union Employee Pension Plan, 2007-2013
- Recipient, Association of Fraud Examiners Lifetime Achievement Award
- Volunteer, Institute of Internal Auditors, Houston Chapter
- Volunteer, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Houston Chapter
- Volunteer, United Way of the Gulf Coast Funds Allocations Committee
Education and Certifications
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Certified Public Accountant
- M.B.A., Finance and Accounting, Columbia University, New York
- B.A., Economics, Stanford University, California
- Preparatory, Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, New Hampshire