METRO's Evacuee Relief Role
September 13, 2005
Collectively, METRO's shuttles have carried 33,000 evacuee trips since
service began last week.
- Shuttle service from Reliant Park to FEMA and Social Security offices on
Bellfort has been discontinued because both agencies have set up offices at
- The Reliant Park shuttle continues to serve locations within the park, but
has ceased service to area stores because they are now served by the Route #96,
the GRB-Reliant shuttle, which connects both major evacuee centers with key
community and government locations.
- The Airport Shuttle which carries evacuees from Reliant Park to George Bush
Intercontinental Airport now runs on a regular schedule: every two hours from 4
a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Shuttle service by METROLift from Reliant Park and the GRB to medical
clinics and hospitals continues.
- METRO is providing transportation to evacuees moving from shelters to more
permanent housing. METRO is also transporting crews of volunteers who are
furnishing and preparing housing for evacuees. We are moving five crews of 15
persons per day.
- METRO is continuing to make seven-day passes available to evacuees. To date,
6,500 have been distributed.