METRO's Refugee Relief Role
September 2, 2005
Houston METRO is offering support to refugees from Hurricane Katrina. METRO's
efforts to date include:
- Ongoing: providing bus shuttles for patients from New Orleans Veterans
Administration Hospital from Ellington Field to the Houston VA Hospital.
Transportation is also being provided for handicapped and/or wheelchair-bound
patients arriving at Ellington.
- Thursday, Sept. 1: provided transport for passengers arriving on six flights
from New Orleans to Ellington, 138 people per plane. They were transported to
the Astrodome, Galveston and area hospitals.
- Ongoing: providing two trolleys running a loop from the Astrodome along
Kirby, Fannin, Main and OST, every 10 minutes from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., taking
refugees to METRORail, area stores and a medical clinic.
- Ongoing: providing four METROLift vans to shuttle people from the Astrodome
to a medical clinic in the area, in conjunction with Harris County Precincts 1
- Ongoing: actively participating in the Unified Command Structure.