Chief of Police
“We value diversity and believe in treating everyone with respect and dignity. Our goal is to provide professional, fair, and impartial law enforcement services to the entire community.”
— Vera Bumpers
Vera Bumpers is METRO’s chief of police.
She has been with the department for more than 35 years and has been a pioneer from the beginning.
Chief Bumpers is the first woman to lead MPD and is the first woman to have been promoted in every single rank.
MPD is a full-time, full-service agency made up of more than 275 sworn Texas Peace Officers and more than 125 civilian staff members.
Chief Bumpers and all the men and women of MPD are focused on keeping METRO’s transit system moving safely and securely for all customers.
They are also committed to maintaining cooperative working relationships with all law enforcement agencies within the METRO service area.
Chief Bumpers has been widely recognized both locally and nationally for her leadership.
She is a past National President of the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE), has been featured in the African American Newspaper and Houston Women Magazine, and was honored as a 2016 Top 50 Black Professional and Entrepreneur.
Professional Associations and Activities
- Chair, Houston Community College Police Academy Advisory Board
- Member, San Jacinto College Advisory Committee for Business Office Systems and Support (BOSS)
- Board member, International Association of Chiefs of Police
- Member, Texas Police Chiefs Association
- Member, Houston Area Police Chiefs Association
- Member, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE)
- Member, National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives
- Member, Hispanic American Police Command Officers Association
- Member, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
- Member, The Links, Incorporated
Education and Certifications
- M.S. Education, Prairie View A&M University
- B.S. Criminal Justice, Texas State University
- Graduate, 230th session FBI National Academy, Quantico, Virginia