Chief Safety Officer
“Safety is METRO’s top priority and everyone’s responsibility.”
— Sean Cagan
Sean Cagan is METRO’s chief safety officer.
His extensive safety career spans more than 20 years, with the last 15 at METRO where he has oversight of three divisions: Safety, Risk Management, and the Drug and Alcohol Program.
Cagan identifies safety and security issues as well as opportunities while developing, communicating and implementing comprehensive solutions.
These drive continuous safety culture improvements throughout all aspects of business operations.
Cagan acts as a safety liaison to the American Public Transportation Association (APTA), the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), and other regulatory agencies – managing updates and revisions of key federal, state, and locally required safety plans to improve safety performance.
He also supports METRO’s responsibilities at Houston TranStar to ensure smooth emergency and traffic management, planning, development, and daily operations.
- Environmental Safety Specialist, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston
- Health Inspector, Galveston County Health District
- Long-term substitute teacher, Galena Park I.S.D.
Professional Associations and Activities
- Certified Safety Professional, Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Safety Management Specialist, Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Certified Safety and Security Director, World Safety Organization
- Member, Texas Transit Safety & Security Professionals Association
- Member, APTA Bus Safety Committee
- Member, APTA Rail Safety Committee
- Member, APTA Risk Management Committee
- Trustee, METRO Non-Union Pension Committee
- Secretary, APTA Safety Coordinating Council
- Graduate, APTA Leadership Class
- METRO Leadership Development Program
Education and Certifications
- M.S. Environmental Science: Industrial Hygiene and Safety, University of Houston - Clear
- B.S. Environmental Management, University of Houston-Clear Lake