Walking and Driving Safely in the TMC
As one of the many employees, patients, visitors and volunteers traveling through the Texas Medical Center (TMC) each day, your safety is very important to us. With the addition of METRORail, we are committed more than ever to helping you reach your destination as safely as possible.
For your safety, the rail line is separated from the roadway by large, raised white domes, except at designated areas within the TMC. Special signals and street signs are posted along the rail line to help guide you safely through the TMC. However, to stay safe, you should learn and understand the rules of METRORail.
Walk on the Safe Side
Improvements such as re-striping crosswalks and adding new pedestrian crossing signals have been made throughout the TMC campus. But remember, safety has to start with you. So, take a walk on the safe side with the following tips:
- Jaywalking is illegal and it could be deadly. Cross only at designated crosswalks. Police will ticket violators.
- Push the "WALK" button to cross at signalized intersections.
- Only enter a crosswalk when the pedestrian signal displays "WALK." Never enter the crosswalk when" DON'T WALK" or flashing "DON'T WALK" is displayed.
- Two special pedestrian crossings have been installed at intersections just south of the TMC. These specially designed crosswalks provide the best view to watch for oncoming trains.
- Pay attention to the crossing signals. Never enter an intersection against the traffic light.
- Set an example by obeying the rules and sharing the message.
Drive the Safe Way
When traveling in the TMC, you should always stay alert. Watch for trains and pedestrians. Remember to reduce your speed in heavily congested areas; this will help reduce the likelihood of an accident.
Remember These Simple Rules When Driving in the TMC:
- Obey all posted signs and speed limits.
- Left turns in the TMC will be allowed only at signalized intersections.
- Always stop for pedestrians. Never assume they see you.
- When approaching an intersection, always stop behind the crosswalk .
Follow the Signs
When it comes to safety, it is imperative that you understand and obey all METRORail signals and signs. Recognizing these symbols will help you avoid an accident or injury, and may save your life. Police are enforcing all traffic laws. Failure to obey the laws could result in a fine of up to $200.
Making Left Turns
METRORail travels in the middle of the roadway along Fannin in the TMC. To enter hospitals, parking garages and other TMC facilities from Fannin, left turns will only be allowed at signalized intersections between North MacGregor and Holcombe. With the exception of John Freeman, Blvd. you must drive on the tracks to enter the left-turn lane. This section of Fannin is the ONLY place on the entire rail line where left-turn lanes are on the trackway itself.
Entry to these lanes is controlled by signals. Because trains and cars will share the same space, it is important that you observe and follow these signals to safely enter the left-turn lane.
Found only in the TMC
The section of Fannin between North MacGregor and Holcombe is the ONLY place on the entire rail line where left turn lanes are on the trackway itself. It is important that you observe the left-turn lane signals because trains and cars will share the same space.
|Do Not Drive On
STAY OFF the tracks when displayed
|Left-Turn Lane Control Signal
Entering a left-turn lane is prohibited when displayed.
|Entering the left-turn lane is allowed when displayed.|
METRORail Safety Map