For many of us living in the Houston region, construction has become a part of our everyday lives. It may be a little difficult to get around now but once the work is completed, our hometown will be an even better place to live. Until then, METRO wants to help keep you safe with these general construction safety tips.
- Always walk on the sidewalk or designated walkway.
- Enter the street only at a designated crosswalk. Crossing at any other place increases the likelihood of an accident.
- Pay close attention to all posted signs. This will reduce the chance of an incident.
- Avoid going near a construction zone whenever possible.
- Never enter a construction site. Heavy machinery and debris can cause you harm.
- Construction vehicles move quickly and suddenly. Always be prepared for unexpected hazards.
- Avoid using a cellular phone when walking near a construction zone. Staying alert to your surroundings reduces the likelihood of an incident.
- Construction can be fascinating. Don't be a "sidewalk superintendent." Your first responsibility is to get past it safely.